Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Get any bites?

Yesterday I went fishing for seatrout for the first time in ages. I always fish with a fly and this time I decided to fish from our little red boat. we bought the boat years ago to lend to people who rented our cabin out on the coast. I now realise that a 12 foot boat with a 4hp motor is not ideal for sea fishing. I can't stand using the motor because it makes so much noise so this year I'm not going to put it on, anyway I can almost row as fast, today I overtook a sailing boat. Fly-fishing is rather like hunting, you see the fish place the fly and hopefully reel the fish bites. Yesterday the conditions were perfect, as I drifted parallel to the bank a fish rolled over in between two clumps of sea weed, on the first drift it went for the fly but turned away at the last moment, on my second pass I got it, a 700g sea trout. It fought quite a bit and I didn't have a net so to get it in the boat I put my thumb in its mouth and slipped a finger round its gills. Guess what? It bit me. Today I took the landing net but as everyone knows when you have the net you never catch a fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home