Monday, September 04, 2006

Plumming the depths

Regular readers might remember I asked my neighbour (the potato man) if I could have his blackberries, he said he wanted them but I could have some plums instead. I'd probably never have this conversation in English but when speaking Norwegian I seem to be able to say pretty much anything and get away with it. On my way home today he jumped into the road waving for me to stop (remember he's about 80). Since I was on a bike and not exactly speeding along (thin legs) I managed to stop in good time. He told me the plums were ripe and we arranged to meet at 7:30. He wasn't sure if the message had gotten through so he visited another neighbour to ask where he should meet me, neighbour two then came round to make sure that I had understood. This is getting rather complicated so I'll stop there. The point of the story is that it's not only the foreigner who is confused by the locals but the locals are equally confused by the foreigner. Any way I got 6kg of plums and another mm into the local community. I made jam.
So we've now moved to Google Mail, very flash perfect for someone like me who never organises mails into files - no need now I can search - and never deletes mails - huge capacity. There are a couple of things I don't like though. I don't like cyberspace googling my mail and telling me which sites I should look at based on the content of my communications. I don't like being told when I have no mail that I could always read the news, I'm just waiting for the dating sites to start apppearing after a couple of days with no mail. (I wonder, if my name is mentioned does a link to here appears, probably not since I'm not paying google anything) But what I really hate is the fact that the back button doesn't work, that's cruel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home