Thursday, September 14, 2006

Tony Hawks

Last week a student (female) walked past me with a skateboard under her arm, good job it wasn't 20 years ago, she'd have been arrested. Skateboarding was illegal, they have some funny laws in Norway. There is another one, if you commit a crime, even murder, and don't get caught after 20 years then the case is closed and you can run around telling everyone about it without worrying that you'll be locked up. I read about that one in the local paper so I may have got it completely wrong. So if you had a skate board 20 years ago you can admit it now in complete safety.
Anyway, this student spent the afternoon trying to skate down the slope outside the Ekbo building, actualy she could have been trying to go up since the gradient was imperceptible. I was impressed by the her determination, it reminded me of when I started to surf, totally useless but determined. Next time she's out I'll get a photo.
Skateboarding is a sport that impresses me greatly, much more than for example olympic gymnastics. The difference is that skateboarders don't have coaches, training schedules, special diets, drugs (they probably do but not performance enhancing ones) , pushy parents or any of the other aids available to the main stream athlete. They just get out there and rip. Have you seen what some of these kids can do? I often watch extreme sports channel so I've seen it all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tugc said...

I used to skate when i was younger.. With inline skates..dont do it anymore though..
And the law about crime..For some reason reminds me of the movie "terminal".

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home