Thursday, October 05, 2006

Microsoft me

no blogging? Difficult to do when no internet. That’s why I’m writing this offline, not that you’d know. Seems quite strange writing in word, it’s like talking to yourself. When writing in Blogger I feel like I’m having a conversation with someone. Word also picks up all my spelling mistakes which I now find quite annoying (not to mention grammar). So this isn’t really me it’s me filtered through word, “microsoft me”. We’ve been having PEW that stands for “Pedagogical exchange week”. Teachers visit other classes. I’ve been to History, Maths HL and Chemistry. I’ve learnt that:

Writing a history essay is like writing a lab report. Description, analysis, conclusion, evaluation. So that’s where I went wrong 35 years ago.

I can understand Maths HL much better now than when I did A’level maths 30 years ago. It would be good for physics students if math’s teachers sometimes used other letters rather than x and y. s and t for example.

Chemists still use the same apparatus that I used 37 years ago. Surely there is a better method than adding liquids drop by drop. Repeated measurement will reduce random errors but not systematic ones. Why not have a thinner spout, pressurize the liquid and add the liquid in a fine spray? Why do chemists measure volume and not mass?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did you feel about the chemistry class? hope you didnot go to the boring one hahahaha every day lab reports but no writing up. but whats so funny about doing lab report the 4consecutive lessons but the experiment would never get done? Is that something different from doing a physics lab report?

1:27 AM  
Blogger Chris Hamper said...

Yeah; I felt a bit cheated. All that TOK stuff about different types of knowledge and ways of knowing and it turns out that its all the same. Damn!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Chris Hamper said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home