Thursday, May 18, 2006

Potatoes

As mentioned yesterday was a holiday, on these festival days in Flekke I always tend to end up talking to old people that I see around but rarely stop to talk to. I have always found it much easier to have Norwegian conversations with old people because:
1. They talk slowly
2. You can change the topic at any time you want, they'll just drift into the new topic without noticing.
3. They often can't hear what you're saying anyway so it doesn't matter of you make mistakes.
4. You can stop when you feel like it.
This particular gentleman lives in a farm along the road from us (you can see it on google earth). Every year he plants potatoes in a patch of land next to his house, he told me that he has never eaten a potato bought from a shop. I also learnt that before the war each plant would have 30 potatoes now 10 is unusual (maybe I should tell him about genetic modification).

It can be weird living in a country where you aren't 100% sure that what you understand to have been said is actualy what has been said. I sometimes feel I am living in a parallel universe, I have my own reality inside my head but it's not the same as everyone elses, I suppose I am a virtual minority. The funny thing is it doesn't matter at all. I live quite happily with my own thoughts an opinions based (sometimes) on completely false information.

By the way, I think me and the potato man were on the same wavelength.