Sunday, August 13, 2006

Deep Mountaineering


When people ask where I have been this summer they may think the answer is a bit sad. I've basically been to Raudbua, to be more precise I've been to a boulder at Raudbua. In fact I've spent a lot of the past week on one bit of a boulder, actualy one hold. (see chalk marks in photo) This hold has been brushed to perfection, studied from every angle and eventualy used to create a three star problem that may never be done again. Why? As a physics teacher I never answer the question why, maybe the question "what for" is more appropriate, however I can't answer that one either. Arne Næss talks about "Deep Ecology". Taking a small piece of earth and looking deeply into it. He believes that you don't need to look at breathtaking views and glowing orange sunsets to be able to appreciate the environment. I think bouldering is like "deep mountaineering". In visiting Raudbua boulder I believe I am experiencing something like that experienced by mountaineers in the Himalayas but in a condensed version. It is also very much to do with finding this thing in nature and making a lot of effort to physically connect with it. I wouldn't say that I am "at one with the stone" but we do have some connection and it has taking a lot of effort to make it.
Just found this about deep ecology in an Introduction to deep ecology by Michael Zimmerman; "The second component of deep ecology is what Arnie Naess calls the need for human self-realization. Instead of identifying with our egos or our immediate families, we would learn to identify with trees and animals and plants (or rocks), indeed the whole ecosphere."
Well, well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home