Thursday, July 13, 2006

Surfing

Got back from the surfing trip yesterday. The waves were small but perfect for Rowan to learn. He managed to stand and even turn the board. I was pleased that I could still do it and by the end of the second day was catching everything, the muscles used in climbing are the same as those used in surfing so i had no problem paddling the board. The only problem is that my body isn't used to all the continual effort, by the time I came home i was pretty drained. I think we'll go again next week, it's a long drive but if the wave is there it's worth it. I think I might get back into surfing, maybe take some students next term, could combine it with a surf kayak trip. I used to surf alot in Wales, almost everyday some weeks. Sometimes had my board outside the classroom so I could run down to the beach after class, we could see the surf from the computer room, this is where John L used to work so we (me and another teacher called Chris) would often pop in to check out the break. I miss that.