Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Staff Meetings

I'm not going to post all the details here but we've made a start to the year and have actualy being trying to get down to some nitty gritty although haven't actualy resolved anything yet. Main issue of the morning was how to increase the contact time between advisor and student. Several suggestions, no decisions. This afternoon it's the "pedagogic platform". Not sure what that is but maybe I'll know after the meeting. Hopefully it won't go on to long because I've arranged to go climbing at 16:30. Raubua of course but this time with a rope. Going to try the project, hopefully the last two weeks intense bouldering will have given me the increased power necessary, we'll see. Going to see if I can get all my advisees to start blogs this year, that way I can follow what they are doing and they won't have to do a CAS diary. I'll still meet them as before of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger ...The eyes of the world said...

I really think I had a good advisor in my first year. He came in the first day and told us he was not going to watch over us 24/7, he was not going be a Big Brother. No, he was a person we could go to if we needed to. He never came to complain about my grades or my behavour, furthermore he NEVER forced "socializing". I think the main problem is if the Advisor just become "another teacher", a person that you HAVE to go to and eat dinners etc. Or a person who will critize you. An advisor has to be the adult that many students dont have at the college, it should be person who can listen to the student when he is talking S*** about the other teachers.
Furthermore, my advisor in the second year was a new teacher, she didnt know anything abuot how the college or how the IB worked and that was a big problem. It has to be an experienced teacher. When the advisors learn to seperate sparetime and schooltime it has been a success.....
Just some few thoughts.... inform us how the big discussions are going at the staff meetings :-)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Chris Hamper said...

Thanks for the comments. I agree with your definition of a good advisor and that is what I try to do. I don't think the advisor should have a disciplinary role at all, they should be adults that students can talk to. I must admit to a bit of forced socializing at the beginning though, it's difficult for someone to come to you for advice if they don't know you at all. As for the discussions I'll include some details in the next post.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home