Saturday, October 16, 2010

Top tips

Quite a busy time since I last blogged on. Berlin at the weekend to run a workshop, back to Flekke then straight off to Stadt for a bit of surfing then The Beach for climbing. Yeah it's climbing / surfing PBL again. This must be about the 5th PBL of this type with the usual student group with the Nordic profile. Whilst instructing climbers I realised there are a couple of basic principles of climbing.
1. Stand don't flop on your feet.
2. If you can't see a hold then there probably isn't one.
3. If you don't move your feet then you can't climb higher than 2m.
And my 3 hints to improve the likelihood of catching a wave whilst surfing are:
1. paddle harder
2. paddle harder
3. paddle harder

After many years I know that my brain has been seriously damaged by too much physics teaching however this week I saw the effects of too much orienteering. People who partake in too much orienteering lose the ability to go from A - B by the most obvious route. When orienteerers climb they simply wander all over the cliff trying to avoid any suggestion of a line. I can imagine what it would be like if they entered a track race, half way round they might decided to take a diversion across the centre of the track.