Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Holidays


Haven't written anything for a few days but it's not because I'm busy. We used to call this time may-june, that's a sort of rcnuwc unit of time a way of creating more time by fitting something between the months. It's not exactly the busiest time of year (although I'm not complaining) since second years have gone and first years just have one class a day. This is great for doing long practicals and there is a lot of time between. I have to keep explaining to my neighbours that the holiday hasn't started yet, "life of Riley". I suppose I could fill my time with work related activities but when I am asked if I would like to be involved with x I answer honestly and if I would not like to be involved I say so. That's not to say that I am not at work at all, in fact I've spent a lot of extra hours in the lab supervising some interesting "extended essays" (IB stuff). For those into physics one is about the rate at which gas comes out of a small hole related to molecular mass of gas. Another is on the pressure wave caused by a closing door and another to do with measuring the force when a platicine ball hits the ground.
Went salmon fishing yesterday but didn't catch anything. I did get one on the hook for 5 minutes but lost it. A student caught a 5.5Kg fish, I'll post a photo if she lets me (she did, nice photo eh?). I think this is the first time an rcnuwc student has caught a salmon.
So I can't really say I'm looking forward to the holiday because it's pretty much started, however I am looking forward to some of the things I'll be doing. One of those is going to Athens. I'm actualy working there for a week teaching teachers about IB Physics but I do get some free time. Not sure what I'll do though, I'm not into fallen down buildings. Hopefully I will meet up with one of my advisees from last year, Nikos, I've emailed him but haven't got an answer yet, which isn't surprising since it was only an hour ago that I sent it. Not sure what we'll do if we do meet. I can't see him sitting in a quiet restaurant eating a nice meal, drinking fine wine and watching the world go by, and I can't see me break dancing on the floor at an underground rave party. We'll see. What ever happens I'll blog it (maybe).

3 Comments:

Blogger Tugc said...

My adviser already forgot about me
:(
hehe, Jean-Paul Ginestier emailed me though, so maybe we are not that forgotten yet:) Are you planning to go to Greece or sth?

1:38 PM  
Blogger SpawN said...

Break dancing is all about balance, strength and stamina, and body control, so I don't see why you wouldn't like it.
Underground rave parties are a different thing though...

Definately go and see Nikos!!! As much as I know him and as much as I know how much he respects and admires you, it would make him happy out of his mind to see you again!

The EE topics sound interesting but I really wonder what the data collecting processes look like on some of them.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Chris Hamper said...

Hi Tugce and Roman;
I've tried e-mailing Nikos but no response yet. I hope we get to meet up since he'll know where to go and i'm on an all expenses paid trip:) Trouble is I have to work every day so I have to enjoy myself in moderation. The saturday night at the end of the week could be good though. I fly out of Athens on sun 2nd July at 0500 so sounds like a good excuse to stay up all night.

The EEs are coming on. The one on the pressure wave uses a force sensor on the door to measure the start and the deflection of a laser reflected off a window to measure when the wave gets to the other side of the room. The gas one uses that piston apparatus. He changes the av. molecular mass of the gas by mixing different amounts of air and butane. The decay curves are analysed in Graphical analysis.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home