Friday, November 24, 2006

Using time

No time to Blog the past week and it's not just because of records and school stuff, actualy I've been doing other things too. In two weeks I'm going climbing in Spain with some guys from Bergen, there all very good climbers (half my age) so i'll be pushed, thats why I'm spending time in the TSK (that's rcnuwc speak for weights room) and on the moonboard. After font I realised that to get better I must get stronger and to get stronger I have to lift weights. It's one of the huge benefits (for me) of living here, how many people have a proffessional gym 5 minutes from their house? Talking about benefits there's been quite a bit of talk about that recently. So what are the benefits of teaching at a UWC? Well I've taught at several different schools and compared to some we have it easy. I started teaching at an inner city comprehensive school in coventry (Sidney Stringer). Large classes, no free blocks (you had to cover for absent staff and there were many). I never went home straight after school because this was a community college and as such was used in the evening by the kids and the local community. After school I would play squash or table tennis with the pupils, I was also very much involved with youth work (voluntarily) I helped organise parties on saturday evenings, very much like the Flekke Parties but wilder. I once got jumped by a gang in the street after I had kicked a bunch of kids out of the party, luckily they had an average age of about 12, I swatted a couple and went back inside. One kid refused to get off the table in class so I lifted him off, he didn't like this so said he'd get his dad onto me, i said go on then..... Big mistake. Luckily I saw him coming along the road so legged it into the headmasters room. Before moving to UWC I had never had a discusion in a Physics class, I would ask questions (like I do now) but would end up answering them all myself, that's probably why I always claim to know what everyone is thinking, mind reading used to be the only way I could get any feedback.
I have often had discusions with myself (not out loud you understand) about the amount of time I "waste" climbing, training, writing my blog, surfing etc. Why is this considered by some to be wasted time but marking homework and cleaning the house is not? I have come to the conclusion that all these activities have equal value. How did I reach that conclusion? let's just say it came to me from the heavens. Some things just don't have to have logoical explanations.

2 Comments:

Blogger SpawN said...

A gift from God you say? :D
Good one.

I agree with the Pete fellow. I think an average UWC teacher wouldn't last long in an average school (at least not in the kind we have here...).
So maybe that's a downside, if you ever get to move from teaching at a UWC to teaching at an average high school.

Other than that I think UWC is teachers' heaven on Earth. :D
I say that by comparing the RCNUWC conditions to the conditions of some of the schools I am familiar with here.

Cheers!

RomaN

7:49 PM  
Blogger sopheak said...

Christ, I think to do what ever you want and your climbing should continue in order to call it as a enjoyment of life that we must have :)

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home