Saturday, October 28, 2006

Doing my Duty

Just been to the Asian show, I often wonder what I would have done in a European show if I was a student and had to present something from my culture. Suppose I'd do something funny. Not a Monty Python sketch though. Also had dinner in the cantine, Asian food. Food was good but didn't like sitting on the floor, it makes my bum hurt. I find it difficult to get the food into my mouth without spilling it all over myself. When that happens at the table it just falls back on the plate. Someone spilt a drink on the floor, problem was it wasn't just the floor it was someones seat.
Not much going on this evening, I could go down to the student disco but it's not really my scene. Have to go there later anyway since I'm supposed to be on duty. "On duty" is a strange concept, basically it means you get this embarassingly old mobile that you have to walk around with all weekend (it hasn't even got a camera). You can't go anywhere in case someone rings but no one ever does. I wonder if anyone actualy knows what the number is. I used to like discos, my dad ran a youth club and every saturday night me and my friends would go there, one of them was the DJ and he'd try to play black sabbath, deep purple and led zep all night. Occasionally the skinheads would make him play Desmond Dekker or some other reggae and they'd dance in a line.
Better get down to the village see what's going off. Call in on the disco, they'll probably be playing that Indian (?) tune that seems to be all the rage at the moment, since it Asian day and all. It's not really posible to speak in there so I'll just pop in to prove that I've done my duty.

I was right

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for making me laugh chris. that is was awesome. especially the black sabath part. heh.

2:02 AM  
Blogger sopheak said...

I experience myself back home with the eating on the floor, and it's very comfortable, because we are uing spoon and the food is quite manage. It's depend on the situation and the day, sometimes we ate on the table or sometimes not, but mostly is on the floor.

About the show is was so funny for me because i did change the script when i was on the stage and the other people piss at me a bit, but they like it :)

3:35 AM  
Blogger Tugc said...

:) This post made me laugh...and even read it to my roommates who are LPC and Pearson graduates.. :)

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not 'monty python'??!!????



... what about 'the mighty boosh'?

11:13 PM  
Blogger Chris Hamper said...

Why not monty python?
Too mainstream. When I was at university there was a certain type of rather annoying people who would form groups at bars and recite monty python sketches all evening.
I believe they were called civil engineers.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would you present something that is funny about your culture?

10:18 PM  
Blogger The WSS said...

Hahaha Chris you are soooooo funny!!!

And an honest admission - after 2 years in Flekke I do not know that number, I actually thought it was teacher's home number!!

Btw, I do understand your frustration about eating on the floor - but, it has nothing to with any main Asian culture I know of. It is probably as it always was somebody's ingenious idea of how to make it more "cozy" (that words and all other words used in the same context by the same kind of people always made me shiver of disgust)>

Take care,

Nikola

P.S Why don't you make "Only fools and horses" sketch for the European show ??

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understad that in the United States military recruits are required to sit on the floor instead of on chairs during classes and free time. It is probably good for the body to sit on the floor. I know in grade school during school assemblies we always had to sit on the floor and it was always a very painful experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Chris Hamper said...

If it's good for the body why did god make chairs?

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If everything made by God is good then why people did people sit on the floor ???

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home