Monday, May 08, 2006

Heat Wave

We are having a heat wave here in Norway, this means first and foremost that all the boulders are dry. Brushed a total classic today, a hand traverse about 10m long about 3m off the ground, perfect. Hopefully do it tomorrow.
Physics exam tomorrow. I have been watching students revising on some online questions I set up on quia.com. It is interesting to watch how they improve as the practice but why are so many not using this gift of a revision aid, maybe computers offer too many distractions (as i am proving right now). Anyway good luck to anyone sitting physics IB tomorrow.
Another thing that I have been puzzling over is why it is that very clever students sometimes can't answer the simplest question in class, I have concluded that it is because most of the time they are not folowing what is being said but are thinking about something else. This used to happen to me a few years ago whilst i was teaching, suddenly I'd lose myself and would write something completely different from what I was saying. I once almost fell asleep teaching a TOK lesson about history, the passage I was reading was so boring my brain switched off. Maybe it's the heat.
Had an interesting episode today suffice to say that what I learnt from the "communication course" at the start of term seems to be right. The best way to avoid confrontation is not communicate.
If anyone is reading this during my class then PD is the amount of electrical energy converted to heat per unit charge. If you are wondering students read stuff online during class it's because they all have tablet pcs with wireless internet in front of them, cool eh.
Will write about "snowshoveler" another time or see here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home